Thursday, July 31, 2008

The little guys

So, the little guys have been sick this week. Hand foot mouth disease (not hoof and mouth as my father thought I said). High fevers led to not eating, let to near dehydration and about 15 minutes from going to the ER. Sunday was the worst for us. We got home late Saturday night and none of the kids slept well. Sammi woke up with nightmares (she was getting over an illness and she always has them when she's been sick). Dylan woke up at 1 am and I was up with him until 4. Then Ken got up at 4 so I could get some rest. The boys were up early and proceeded to get worse and worse. Dylan wouldn't eat. He clearly had a sore throat and we tried everything. Milk, Juice, water, pedialyte (I made Ken buy every flavor). Nothing would get him to drink. By 3 pm I knew he hadn't had a wet diaper since the middle of the night. And he looked horrible, frightening. He was so white and had red eyes. He was looking so sickly. We called the pediatrician and they said if he didn't have a wet diaper by 6 pm to bring him to the hospital. Fortunately after much effort, He drank an ounce or so of pedialyte at 5:45 so I didn't have to take him. Ken and I were so happy when Grandma arrived around 7 pm. The next day Grandma told us that it looked like a bomb had gone off in our house. It was a mess. We were down to the last few bottles, we had leftover food all over the kitchen island (we ordered out, no time to cook). And Sammi's toys were everywhere. I was so proud of Ken and I at the end of the day. We made it through. It was hard. There was a lot of screaming, crying, bouncing, all while keeping Sammi content. But we did it and the boys have been getting better and better as the week wears on. I got the diagnosis on Monday that it was hand, foot, mouth. And I've been out of work all week. Fortunately I've been able to work a lot from home. It helps that Grandma came for two days and Granny and Grandpa came for a day. As horrible as it was, the boys are feeling better now, and its been so awesome to hang out with them. Its been such great bonding time. It just reminds me that I don't get a lot of time to play with them. Because working full time and taking care of two 5- month olds and a 3-year old is demanding. I wish I could spend more time with all of them.

Dylan (L) chilling and Brad (R) trying to hold his hand.
Don't tell Sammi they were sitting on couch.


Bradley laid on Granny's cheek for about 10 minutes. It was too adorable not to capture on digital film.


I guess the little guy (Brad) was tuckered out.



Brad again, feeling better now.

0 comments: